Effective as of August 2, 2006
Your user profile information entered on CSUMentor will be transferred to the CSU Mathematics Success and CSU English Success websites operated by CSU, respectively, when you link to those websites from CSUMentor. That information will enable the CSU Mathematics Success and CSU English Success websites to provide you with advice regarding preparing for college and achieving academic success in college tailored to the characteristics presented by your user profile information.
- The personal identifying information we collect
- Reasons we collect personal identifying information
- Minimum age of 13 required to establish an account
- Ways in which personal identifying information may be used
- With whom personal identifying information may be shared
- Security measures to protect information entrusted to Xap and CSUMentor
- Modifying and deleting your information
Except as set forth below, personally identifiable data you enter on CSUMentor is not made available or distributed to third parties, except with your express consent or at your express direction. In particular, CSU and Xap will not give, sell or provide access to your personal information to any company, individual or organization for its use in marketing or commercial solicitation or for any other purpose, except with your express consent, at your direction, as is necessary for the operation of this site, or pursuant to one of the exceptions listed below.
THE PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION WE COLLECT
CSUMentor collects personal identifying information from you including, but not limited to, your name, date of birth, address, e-mail address, telephone number, grade level, parent's contact information, Social Security number, such additional information as you choose to include in your user profile or are required to provide by the college and financial aid applications that you choose to complete, and information associated with activities you have undertaken on CSUMentor.
REASONS WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
CSUMentor collects personal information from you primarily for three reasons. The first reason is to perform a task on CSUMentor, such as filling out a specific college admission application, requested by you. The second reason is to enable you to submit in a convenient and efficient manner information that is likely to be needed when you complete college admission, financial aid and other applications and forms made available through CSUMentor or complete the various planners on CSUMentor, and the third reason is to enable Xap to respond to your questions or contact you when necessary in connection with the functioning of CSUMentor. When the effective functioning of a CSUMentor module does not require personal information, none is collected, and any such module can be accessed without opening an account or providing any personal data.
When you log on to CSUMentor, your browser will automatically transmit to CSUMentor's server the IP address of your computer and type of browser you are using. Although your browser transmits the IP address of your computer, CSUMentor does not associate this IP address with any personally identifiable information regarding you. CSUMentor does not collect any personally identifiable information other than what users submit and their browsers transmit.
MINIMUM AGE OF 13 REQUIRED TO ESTABLISH AN ACCOUNT
CSUMentor will not collect any information from persons who are not yet 13 years old. If you are under 13 years of age, you are not authorized to create an account on CSUMentor, but you can utilize those portions of CSUMentor that do not involve the collection of personal information from users.
WAYS IN WHICH PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE USED
CSUMentor will use your personal identifying information to complete the following forms and surveys, to obtain information for you and to effect transactions on your behalf, in each case only upon your instructions to do so:
- Complete applications for admission
- Complete financial aid applications
- Complete financial aid calculators
- Complete a scholarship search
- Complete various planners, which can assist you in selecting courses and otherwise planning to meet admission requirements
- Communicate your requests for information or material to colleges or other institutions you have specified
Your personal identifying information may also be used for the following purposes:
- We may use your identifying information to help diagnose problems with CSUMentor's server and to administer the CSUMentor website.
- Summary data representing a compilation of aggregate data representing CSUMentor users may be collected by Xap and provided to various entities including colleges and other educational institutions represented on CSUMentor. NO PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION IS MADE AVAILABLE AS PART OF THESE SUMMARY REPORTS. Some examples of summary data are the number of monthly visitors to the site, the number of admission applications submitted over CSUMentor, and the CSUMentor functions utilized by students in specified age or grade ranges.
WITH WHOM PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE SHARED
Any time you request that we perform a task that involves a transfer of data, the data related to the performance of that task will be made available to a recipient you designate or to a service provider assisting us in completing that task. For example:
- If you submit an application for admission to any CSU campus, the personal data required to complete the application will be provided on your behalf to the appropriate admissions office of the CSU campus and may be provided to CSU for reporting purposes.
- If you submit an application for admission to a XAP client college or other educational institution other than a CSU campus, the personal data required to complete that application will be provided on your behalf to the admissions office of the institution to which you are applying.
- If you request that your data be transferred to FAFSA on the Web to help you fill out your federal financial aid application, data relevant to that application will be provided to a processor specified and authorized to process your financial aid applications (FAFSA) by the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you request that a college or other educational institution send you material, your contact information will be provided to that institution.
- If you request that information saved in your LDTP Planner be made available to your CSU campus or community college counselor, Xap will permit those whom you have authorized to view personally identifying information about you.
Note: If you begin an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, your name and other data entered on that application may be provided to the admissions office of that institution, even though you have not yet submitted a completed application to that institution.
SECURITY MEASURES TO PREVENT MISUSE OF INFORMATION ENTRUSTED TO CSUMentor
CSUMentor causes the data you input to be encrypted when in route between your browser and the CSUMentor server and when in route between the CSUMentor server and some other browser or server. This practice helps prevent unauthorized third parties from intercepting and gaining access to your private data during transmission over the Internet. CSUMentor uses 128-bit, Secure Socket Layer encryption supported by both Netscape's and Microsoft's browsers.
Data residing on the CSUMentor server is password protected, and access is provided only to the account holder who created the password, anyone to whom that account holder entrusted the password, and those employees of Xap who require such access to administer and maintain the CSUMentor system or to provide requested customer support to users of CSUMentor. Each Xap employee who has access to the data residing on the CSUMentor server has agreed in writing to respect the privacy of all such personal data.
Don't want cookies?
MODIFYING AND DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
You may update, otherwise modify or delete from the data stored on CSUMentor any personal information you previously provided. To modify personal information, (i) log on to CSUMentor, (ii) access either your user profile or an application containing the information you want to change, and (iii) modify that information using standard word-processing techniques. To delete personal information that is not a required field to be completed in your profile, (i) log on to CSUMentor, (ii) access your user profile, and (iii) delete the information you want to remove from CSUMentor using standard word-processing techniques and (iv) save the change. To delete personal information that is a required field to be completed in your profile, you will need to contact Xap at 1-800-GOTO-XAP and request that your profile be deleted. Please recognize that if you delete information, it will no longer be available on CSUMentor so that, for example, if a college to which you previously submitted an application were to attempt to retrieve that application from CSUMentor after you made the deletion the deleted information would no longer be accessible. Similarly, when accessed over CSUMentor, information that has been updated or otherwise modified will appear in its then-most current form, rather than in the form in which it may have been submitted at some earlier time.