Tips For Transfer Students
Before you enroll, or during your first term in a California Community Colleg (CCC), discuss your educational plans with a community college counselor, transfer center director, or academic advisor.
- Inquire about CSU admission requirements and be sure that your plan of study includes courses to fulfill these requirements. Your counselor can tell you which CSU majors are overcrowded (impacted) and inform you of supplementary admission requirements.
- Read your CCC catalog carefully. Pay special attention to the sections on transfer and certification of CSU general education requirements.
- Be sure to enroll in courses that are transferable or those needed for placement in transferable courses. Transferable courses are those that CSU accepts towards a baccalaureate degree. Remedial courses and many vocational courses are not transferable. To ensure that you are successful in your college studies, your counselor may advise you to take some basic skills courses before you enroll in transferable courses.
- Find out which lower-division courses are required for the major in which you are interested. Be sure the courses you take to meet these requirements will be accepted toward that degree at the CSU campus you plan to attend.
- Familiarize yourself with general education and other baccalaureate degree requirements by reviewing one or more CSU campus catalogs.
- Review this website for information about the application process and deadlines for prospective transfers.